Modular - Catalog 2018
Ever since 1980, the Belgian company Modular Lighting Instruments has been conquering the world with its trend-setting, high-quality architectural lighting that combines the best of creativity and technology.
Their products are ground-breaking and creative, both in terms of their concept and their design. The same can be said about Modular’s 2018 catalogue, The Cult of M. From a printing technology perspective too, the catalogue is exceptionally interesting and innovative. Below, we’ll take a closer look at some of the most eye-catching technical features of this publication.
- It took 130 pallets of paper — around 65 tonnes — to produce this catalogue. The book weights no less than 3.434 kg.
- We opted for PUR binding with a flexcover. The cover is lined with natural linen, and characters are embroidered on the cover sheet and back. Modular’s logo is blind-embossed on the rear cover.
- The gilded page edges are one of the most noticeable features of this catalogue. In this process, a thin layer of gold colour is applied to the edges of the paper.
- A pocket is embedded in the final page, on the inside of the rear cover. The pocket can be opened using the laser-cut zip, and an embroidered badge is hidden inside. Every one of these badges is unique.
- The logo on the pocket isn’t printed on the paper, but superficially laser-cut into the paper instead. Using a laser, the top layer was cut out, down to half of the paper’s thickness. If you look closely, you’ll notice a minuscule surface difference.